chatter
  • across the chessboard
  • welcome
    welcome to across the chessboard! we're an alice in wonderland based site with an original plot and slight modern dystopian twist and canon characters from alice's adventures in wonderland and through the looking glass and what alice found there, both by lewis carroll. for a longer summary, please visit our information center here. if you have any questions, feel free to give an admin a shout in the cbox (it's to your left- just click the chatter button and it should pop open). again, welcome, and we hope you join us!

it is currently summer 2015 in london.
    it is currently summer-ish in wonderland.

• stats & info
    Wonderland wasn't always this way. There was a time when it mirrored medieval England, albeit with a few magical elements: a few quirks and eccentricities that made it truly unique. While all feared the Queen's mercurial temper and the fine blade of her Guillotine, all was well, until a little girl named Alice Liddell disturbed the status quo and sparked a revolution. The kingdom began to fall into decay as the taint of the modern world invaded. History is beginning to repeat itself and no one is happy. As the Queen of Hearts tangles in a battle of wits and riddles with the Cheshire Cat, the rest are starting to wonder ... is it true that the White Rabbit is bringing humans to Wonderland when they themselves are banned from going to London?

myrmidones of the queen — 12/∞ 
    myrmidones of the cat — 08/∞ 
    unaffiliated — 09/∞ 
  • featured
    asya
    fintan
    character
    judas
    male
    aria
    female
    jacqueline & maixent
    pairing
    empty gold
    thread

Add Reply
New Poll

How to save a life, Tagged: Isaac (TW - suicide themes)
dominic brooks
 Posted: Mar 14 2015, 08:14 PM
But oh my heart, was flawed I knew my weakness. So hold my hand consign me not to darkness. So crawl on my belly 'til the sun goes down. I'll never wear your broken crown. I took the road and I fucked it all away. Now in this twilight, how dare you speak of grace
30GreyCON ARTIST24 postsapplicationplotting
dominic brooks

MAYDAY MAYDAY
can you save me from myself?
words: 512 || notes: ffs dom
There should have been nothing but the void, nothing but sweet oblivion wrapping her numb arms about him and sealing his eyes in sleep. If there was to be anything but nothingness, there was to be the flames and unbearable heat of Satan’s pit but no. While arms did grasp around his waist they were not the gentle, soothing arms of death come to ease him into the realm of nonexistence nor were they the searing, painful claws of demons come to drag him down to Hell. They were forceful, desperate hands clutching at his clothing and scrambling with the tight rope about his neck. They were almost clumsy as they took hold of his weight, easing him down to the ground before those same hands began to pat urgently at his face, pawing at his chest and trying to coax him back to consciousness. He didn’t want to go, and he found himself scowling- silent snarls of protest barely making it past the barriers of his own mind. Unable to function properly, suffering from blood loss and restricted oxygen.

His head was turned up to the ceiling and through hazy vision he saw the blurred outline of his would-be saviour, the sanctimonious little fuck who’d seen fit to take away his right to make the ultimate choice. Though he couldn’t make out facial features, no little details- he had two in mind. Policeman or Prostitute, those he held nearest and dearest… in his own way. Whichever one, Dominic had nothing but spite in his heart for them as blurred colour bled out to black, and he surrendered to unconsciousness.

The harsh lighting assaulted him when he first opened his eyes, causing him to shut them promptly once more. Everything was fuzzy, his hearing barely focused- hearing the faint yet steady beeping of some kind of machine… a heart monitor, he realised, once his brain caught up with his ears. Everything smelled sterile, clinical, and when he tried to shift in bed he found his movement irritatingly limited. After a few moments he decided to try opening his eyes once more, and found his suspicions confirmed.

Hospital.

Glancing down, he scowled at the straps securing him to the bed. Both arms were tightly bound with bandages and blood already spotted the gauze. Unfazed, he leaned back into the cushions, sighing heavily. At least he couldn’t feel the pain he was certain should be making itself well known- in his arms, his head, his neck… all of it was beautifully dulled by the morphine drip in his left wrist. Still, he knew he couldn’t stay there forever. If he did, there’d be questions, and he’d never been much of a fan of questions.

A sudden movement to his side caught his attention, but he didn’t turn his head. Somehow, he already knew who was there.

“You… fuck.”

His voice was dry, croaky from disuse and the damage to his throat. Yet the sentiment was there… he was beyond displeased with the man sat by his bedside. His would-be guardian angel: Isaac Irving.

PMEmail
^
isaac irving
 Posted: Mar 25 2015, 06:08 AM
No one knows what it's like to be the bad man... to be the sad man... behind blue eyes.
28GreyProstitute20 postsapplicationplotting
isaac irving

dead and gone
calm before the storm set it off
words: 659 || notes: fuck it all~
His head hurt. It had been a good few hours now, since he’d first discovered Dominic in his flat and Isaac knew that his friend was safe now – in hospital, strapped down, drugged. He was of little to no danger to himself; especially as he must have been exhausted.

Isaac certainly wasn’t one for smoking inside. It took forever to get the smoke out and he wasn’t a fan of that – although on some days, he would smoke out his bedroom window. He’d heard a suggestion that incense were good for that sort of thing though. However, he was sat on the windowsill for most of the night and even though at points it felt damn near impossible for him to smoke, as he felt like his throat wouldn’t even let smoke through, he managed. Yeah, sure, he’d gotten a reprimand from one of the nurses but after all, his friend attempted suicide. For once, Isaac felt that he was entitled to react in a similar sense to what he was doing.

He hadn’t been this scared for a long while. Previously, it had been of his own safety. And now... it was of the safety of someone he deeply cared about. To the point that he stayed at the hospital, having managed to magically persuade the nurses to let him. The onset of shock was slightly delayed... now that he knew that Dominic was okay he could let himself freak out. The memories from just hours before rushed back to him, flooding his head with the gruesome image that he was greeted with shortly upon entering Dom’s flat. He was white as a sheet and all the blood didn’t help it – for a few seconds this had Isaac frozen in one spot. Thankfully, he managed to snap himself out of it and go to help, all too desperate as he clawed at the rope in hurried desperation. After he’d managed to get Dom down, he tried to get his consciousness back and although it seemed like he’d managed for a little while, he soon was witness to his friend slipping again. He knew he’d had little time so he called up the ambulance.

He was pretty sure they gave him a shock blanket.

The ride to the hospital was a blur – people scrambling about as they tried to patch the idiot up somewhat, just so he could make it to the facility. Then they arrived and first, Dom was taken care of. Then Isaac was given something to calm down and though he tried not to be a pill person, he accepted it without question.

And that brought him back here.

He was dangling his legs, a pen he managed to get his hands on in hand as he doodled on a piece of tissue – it usually did the trick when he needed to let something out. It was when he looked up that he’d realised Dominic was back and so he went to sit down on the chair, by the bed. In that moment, the weight in the pit of his stomach that he’d felt ever since he first saw the man was lifted. He didn’t look well at all.

“You… fuck.”

Isaac wasn’t particularly surprised at the tone he was greeted with – Brooks never really belonged to the most affectionate of people – but he didn’t let that matter. Dominic could be a right fucking idiot and Isaac told him time and time again to at least talk to someone. Someone who could comfort him – which certainly wasn’t that vicious creature of a cat. Come to think of it, where was Susan...?

“Vocabulary as great as always. You’re not supposed to talk too much.” He murmured, keeping himself from sounding too emotional or... something. He bit his lip, his posture relaxing, slouching against the uncomfortable chair. “You’re a fucking idiot.” He whispered, his eyes cast down, eyebrows drawn together as the quiet remark sounded in the room.

PMEmailAIM
^
dominic brooks
 Posted: Apr 7 2015, 06:22 AM
But oh my heart, was flawed I knew my weakness. So hold my hand consign me not to darkness. So crawl on my belly 'til the sun goes down. I'll never wear your broken crown. I took the road and I fucked it all away. Now in this twilight, how dare you speak of grace
dominic brooks

MAYDAY MAYDAY
“Good.”

It meant he didn’t have to talk, didn’t have to explain himself- didn’t have to entertain any questions or scolding that the man might feel he needed to impart. It meant he could distance himself from those at his bedside or those who worked for the hospital. The perfect excuse to remain stubbornly silent until they gave up on him and gave him an opening to slip out in the night. It wouldn’t be the first time he’d discharged himself off the books; there was a scar somewhere around his midriff that served as a reminder for the time he’d been shot, and snuck out of the hospital with it still bleeding. He didn’t like hospitals, didn’t like the questions. Besides, a man with a record such as his did best to stay out of anything too official. Being tied down in a hospital bed was tantamount to calling the police and turning himself in.

“You’re an idiot.”

Isaac’s comment was met with a derisive snort and a sullen glare, before he turned his head away toward the window once more. No, he wanted to say. You’re the idiot, I made it perfectly fucking clear what I wanted and in you came on your fucking white horse and ‘saved me’. For what? A life in prison? Fuck you. Yet the words died in his throat and instead, he just let out a sound that sounded suspiciously like a feral growl. He’d been living alone with a cat for too long.

Yes, while Dominic Brooks had undoubtedly wished to die that night- now that he was forced to remain in the world of the living he knew he wanted to do so freely. Death was something he could have stomached, a life in a cage? Locked away with the key ground down and recycled? No. He could not go back to prison… he would not go back to prison. He wouldn’t survive it.

“Fuck you.”

PMEmail
^
isaac irving
 Posted: Apr 26 2015, 06:13 PM
No one knows what it's like to be the bad man... to be the sad man... behind blue eyes.
isaac irving

dead and gone
He still felt on edge. And even though now, he had relaxed – even now, when he shut his eyes he could see the grotesque image he had been greeted with shortly upon entering Dom’s flat and finding him. He could recall a lot of blood dripping down, the only sound in the otherwise quiet flat. He brushed a hand against his face and shook his head trying to rid himself of the image. Dominic was fine now. Well, fine – not entirely fine. In fact, he was quite far from fine. But he was okay enough to be conscious and that counted.

“Good.”

Isaac nodded sharply before looking at his friend, actually looking at him properly for the first time in a long while. His face changed in response to Isaac and the glare spoke volumes, which caused Isaac to slip out of the chair and sit on the bed, next to Dom.

“Look,” he started, but didn’t know how to finish. He let out a sigh before he tried again, his eyes locked with Dominic’s. “You are going to be fine.” He said, quietly. His hands balled into fists in his lap in frustration. “You are going to be fine.” He repeated it.

Fuck you.

“Yeah, well. I’m sorry.”

PMEmailAIM
^
dominic brooks
 Posted: Apr 28 2015, 12:52 PM
dominic brooks

MAYDAY MAYDAY
Had he the physical capability, he would have recoiled from Isaac’s presence the moment the man got onto the bed with him. Perhaps once upon a time he would have muttered a homophobic slur, part and parcel of his completely inappropriate sense of humour: Isaac would probably have either laughed or heaved a long suffering sigh before whacking him around the head, and they’d have moved on with things. In this case, though, the truth behind the disgust was clear- nothing to do with his sexuality, and everything to do with the fact that Isaac had forced him to live.

“Easy as fuck for you to say, though, isn’t it?”

Irish accent was thick, and cutting as he looked at Isaac, eyes burning with anger where they’d been dead and empty only moments before. At least he was feeling something, and he clung to that. A negative emotion or not, it was something… something that didn’t make him feel weak, or worthless- something that gave him strength.

It always had.

“Fucking should be.”

He was speaking now, more than he’d intended to and likely, more than he was supposed to- he’d even hauled himself a little up the bed in order to sit up straighter, since he couldn’t stand tall for this. “It was none of your fucking business what I did. It was my right to go if I fucking wanted to. It was nothing to do with you and you shoved your fucking nose in and interfered like the sanctimonious little cunt you really are.”

Perhaps he’d regret it later- Isaac Irving was one of the truest friends he’d ever had and in his better moments, he knew that… but he was compromised, the way he thought and the way he felt were twisted about by the way his mind was working in that dark place. He wasn’t himself, and hopefully, Isaac would know that… still, his words were bound to hurt.

PMEmail
^
isaac irving
 Posted: May 12 2015, 06:24 AM
isaac irving

dead and gone
Isaac could practically feel the resentment radiating from his friend. He knew that to Dominic, he did a horrible thing. He knew exactly how it felt to be so low you wanted to die but he also knew how it would affect everyone else. Despite what Brooks could have thought, he had a lot of friends. A lot of people cared about him and there were times when he just wanted to shake the man to make him realise how much of an idiot he was being. Taking a deep breath, Isaac looked at Dominic, observed the emotion visible in his face. He recognised the anger... Rubbing a hand over his face, he adjusted his position.

It was easy for him to say because he was there; he knew how difficult it was. He managed to get himself out of that mindset and he was determined to help Dominic, too. No matter how much he pushed him away, he would help him. He was determined.

Isaac held himself back from pushing Dominic back down. There was a certain extent he could go to while helping out his friend and he knew he’d already overstepped the boundaries by saving his goddamn life.

“I know it was none of my business.” He said, quietly. The words really stung but Isaac was trying his best not to let them. “I wanted to help,” he continued calmly. “I’ve been trying to help you for a while now and it really sucks that you can’t see how much people care about you, you know?”

PMEmailAIM
^
dominic brooks
 Posted: Jul 13 2015, 06:32 PM
dominic brooks

MAYDAY MAYDAY
dominic i am done with you
“Why the fuck would they?”

The response was unapologetically blunt, and harsh. Dominic wasn’t the kind to do self deprecation with a desire for pity or reassurance: he didn’t need it, or so he told himself. He was content to tell the truth as he saw it and let that be that- he was a despicable person, he knew that. He'd done horrible, awful things throughout his life, committed atrocities and sins beyond counting… had fallen to depravity and drowned himself in alcohol and illicit drugs to numb the pain. He was not a soul worth saving and yet Isaac had gone out of his way to do so- and Dominic couldn’t fathom why.

Things he did not understand, he had a tendency to push away with a violent refusal.

“Why are you wasting your fucking time?”

PMEmail
^
isaac irving
 Posted: Jul 17 2015, 05:36 AM
isaac irving

dead and gone
His anger grew as each syllable fell from Dominic’s mouth. He knew he had to reign it in for both their sakes so at first he didn’t speak, instead replaying the words in his head. The fact that Dom felt that way was bloody devastating and Isaac wasn’t about to let it continue. He took a long breath in and let it out slowly.

“First of all, you’re hilarious. I like your sense of humour.” He started finally after what felt like an age of silence. “I find that time with you is always well spent. You’re very intelligent, although you like to hide it. You seem to prefer the facade that your condition provides you. And believe it or not, you have helped me in the past. You are extremely important to me, Dominic, and don’t even attempt thinking otherwise.”

Even though Isaac often found comfort in physical contact, he knew that wasn’t the case with Dominic. So he shuffled away only to eventually get off the bed and back on the chair. He knew when Dom needed space and he was more than happy to give him what he required.

PMEmailAIM
^
dominic brooks
 Posted: Aug 15 2015, 07:33 PM
dominic brooks

MAYDAY MAYDAY
dominic i am done with you
Isaac's words were soft, intended as a soothing balm to the wounds on Dominic's heart, his very soul- and yet they were received as poison. Dominic's expression twisted into something ugly, and his lip curled in disgust.

“I'm funny…? Oh, how fuckin' sweet.”

The words were almost spat, and he turned away once again, anger shining dimly in those once-bright blue eyes. Everything was diminished, even his anger seemed muted somehow: the event had left him a shadow of his former self, too far gone to be saved at this juncture- only time would heal the wounds, both physical and mental. It would be a long, uphill struggle and at this point in time, Dominic was content to set up camp at the bottom of the mountain. Even if Isaac wasn't.

“Trust me, Isaac, you're better off makin' friends with your fuckin' clients. I'm not someone you want to waste your life getting to know- I'll stab you in the back soon as it suits, done it before… will do it again. Providing I live that long.”

The bitter smile that curled his lip was almost cruel, as his eyes once more found Isaac's own.

PMEmail
^
isaac irving
 Posted: Aug 24 2015, 08:12 AM
isaac irving

dead and gone
fuck you guys. fuck you.
He wasn’t going to give up. Dominic was the most important person to him... his only real friend. Sure, there were people that he met up with and spoke with but due to quite a few reasons, Isaac didn’t really have many friends. Generally, he was way too specific about the way things were done and apart from Dominic, nobody was able to put up with him. It seemed that he was about to shove him out of his life, too... but Isaac wouldn't let him. If it was the case of their friendship falling apart because of his mistakes, then he’d be able to accept the fact. Move on. But Dominic kept beating himself up, the words that were leaving his mouth were horrible and they hurt.

What Isaac had to keep reminding himself of was the fact that not only was his friend depressed to the point of being suicidal, he was also going through withdrawal. And withdrawal was never a nice feeling.

“No.” He replied, simply. Didn’t feel the need to expand on it at all; Dominic knew very well how much Isaac valued their friendship. And maybe he couldn’t see it in the state he was in but Isaac was loyal and devoted to Dom’s cause.

PMEmailAIM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules Collapse  

skinned exclusively for across the chessboard by asya