chatter
  • across the chessboard
  • welcome
    welcome to across the chessboard! we're an alice in wonderland based site with an original plot and slight modern dystopian twist and canon characters from alice's adventures in wonderland and through the looking glass and what alice found there, both by lewis carroll. for a longer summary, please visit our information center here. if you have any questions, feel free to give an admin a shout in the cbox (it's to your left- just click the chatter button and it should pop open). again, welcome, and we hope you join us!

it is currently summer 2015 in london.
    it is currently summer-ish in wonderland.

• stats & info
    Wonderland wasn't always this way. There was a time when it mirrored medieval England, albeit with a few magical elements: a few quirks and eccentricities that made it truly unique. While all feared the Queen's mercurial temper and the fine blade of her Guillotine, all was well, until a little girl named Alice Liddell disturbed the status quo and sparked a revolution. The kingdom began to fall into decay as the taint of the modern world invaded. History is beginning to repeat itself and no one is happy. As the Queen of Hearts tangles in a battle of wits and riddles with the Cheshire Cat, the rest are starting to wonder ... is it true that the White Rabbit is bringing humans to Wonderland when they themselves are banned from going to London?

myrmidones of the queen — 12/∞ 
    myrmidones of the cat — 08/∞ 
    unaffiliated — 09/∞ 
  • featured
    asya
    fintan
    character
    judas
    male
    aria
    female
    jacqueline & maixent
    pairing
    empty gold
    thread

Add Reply
New Poll

icons of self indulgence, tagged: Dominic
shannon saunders
 Posted: Aug 7 2015, 12:21 PM
I'm breaking free from these memories Gotta let it go, just let it go I've said goodbye Set it all on fire Gotta let it go, just let it go
30GreyTA35 postsapplicationplotting
shannon saunders

LOOK WHO'S DIGGING THEIR OWN GRAVE
THAT IS WHAT THEY ALL SAY
She remembered it. She remembered it all from the worst of times, the times when she couldn’t breathe because she couldn’t help but feel sad and guilty. Almost welcoming the feeling, Shannon lit up another cigarette; in the last few days she smoked through a pack and a half. No matter how much she attempted to push it aside and not let it affect her, the thoughts of Dominic in hospital made her feel uneasy. Her chest felt tight even as she tried to remind herself that he was the reason for her own hospitalisation, he was the reason behind her depression, he was the reason she couldn’t sleep at night. And yet, she still wore his ring.

She looked down at it, sitting on her left ring finger, examined it closely. Looked at the crystals as though she was seeing the ring for the first time and she remembered the feelings that came with it. The happiness she felt, after all, she never thought he would like her as much as she liked him. Slowly, she twisted the ring to look at the back of it, flattened over the years. It wasn’t a perfect circle anymore and she would have appreciated the irony if it didn’t sadden her so much.

Saving people wasn’t Shannon’s forte. She was always the one that needed saving, the person that needed protecting from herself. No matter how much she wanted to be stronger, she wasn’t. She couldn’t be. Convinced that she wouldn’t be the person to do it, she decided not to.

You are of no use.

“It’s all in your head, Shannon.” She said quietly, to herself.

The flat felt overwhelming. It felt like the walls were closing in on her and suddenly she felt claustrophobic in there, she needed to get out but she was scared of leaving it, it provided her with protection from the world outside.

But there was a sense of longing that she couldn’t shake and she knew the reasons behind it. Dominic was her obsession. And as much as she tried to let go, she would always go back to him... In dreams or while wide awake. In all the letters she wrote to him over the fifteen years.

The decision was made.

And even though she wasn’t a hundred percent sure whether this was a good idea, she was going through with it. There were many reasons for it, the main however was the fact that she missed him; even if she remembered that night at the docks when he scared her... she also remembered how her heart rate picked up when he held her close.

It was masochistic. The love that hurt but it hurt so good that she couldn’t stay away.

---

When she finally arrived at the hospital, she felt nervous. She wasn’t sure what to expect, what she was going to see. Dominic was always strong and to see him in a vulnerable state somehow didn’t feel right. Lost in thought, as she was walking down the corridor to Dom’s room, she bumped into someone.

“Sorry,” she muttered, before looking up. The man was tall, had dark hair and striking blue eyes. He was smiling, but his eyes seemed to be focused elsewhere.

“Don’t worry about it.” He said, before resuming walking. Shannon looked at him for a while before continuing herself and when she got to the door, she hesitated. After what felt like an age, she pushed the door open.

For Dominic
Let the feels begin.

OUTFIT

PMEmailAIM
^
dominic brooks
 Posted: Aug 15 2015, 07:52 AM
But oh my heart, was flawed I knew my weakness. So hold my hand consign me not to darkness. So crawl on my belly 'til the sun goes down. I'll never wear your broken crown. I took the road and I fucked it all away. Now in this twilight, how dare you speak of grace
30GreyCON ARTIST24 postsapplicationplotting
dominic brooks

ICARUS IS FLYING TOO CLOSE TO THE SUN
YOU'LL DRINK YOURSELF TO DEATH
He remembered it. It remained like a thorn in his mind, sharp and ever-present, a broken record in his memories that played on an endless loop in his darker moments, whenever he lost himself and his grip on the present- whenever he lifted that bottle to his lips. She had meant the world to him, but never known it: even when he shoved that little box into her hands without a word. He'd let her believe it was some cheap little trinket he'd picked up for no real reason, losing his nerve at the last minute. Shannon had never known how long it'd taken him to save for it, how often he'd visited the shop to ensure it was still there.

That 'cheap nickel piece of shit' had been real silver, the little treasure he'd hidden at the back of an antique store for weeks.

She'd probably thrown it out long ago.

Everything had been ruined the night he killed Jason- it wasn’t something he regretted, he resented the time he'd spent in prison for it but the actual deed? No shame was felt, no remorse. Jason had agreed to the fight, should have known the consequences- he was a stupid fuck that couldn’t defend himself properly. It wasn't that Dominic was heartless, more that his perception was tremendously skewed when Shannon Saunders was in the picture: he didn't see clearly, couldn’t think straight.

Even now, after all these years- she still had a hold on him. Hers was the last face he saw when he'd kicked the chair out from beneath him.

She was everything.

---

It had been another silent affair- he and Isaac sat in the same room but not speaking; Isaac with that pained expression that showed how much he wanted to speak, and Dominic scowling sullenly out of the window until Isaac gave up and left. It had become their new routine, and until someone gave in and gave him a bottle of vodka- he had no intention of saying a word to the man who'd imprisoned him in a hospital bed.

The door clicked behind Isaac and Dominic relaxed, slouching back into the cushions with a weary sigh. All the pent up aggression seemed to leave him, looking smaller, deflated, more fragile than he'd let on in company. Minutes passed, and then the door opened again- and it all came rushing back, angry eyes lifting to the door as he half rose, wondering just what the fuck Isaac had forgotten-

His heart stopped in his chest and his eyes remained wide open, the tension leaving his jaw and leaving it slack. The room seemed suddenly cold: time had stopped, leaving him abandoned on a sea of past mistakes, too afraid to speak lest he drown in them.

Shannon.

For Shannon
Yes indeedy

PMEmail
^
shannon saunders
 Posted: Aug 15 2015, 05:53 PM
I'm breaking free from these memories Gotta let it go, just let it go I've said goodbye Set it all on fire Gotta let it go, just let it go
shannon saunders

Her heart rate picked up when she first saw him, angry and like he didn’t belong in the hospital bed. Not at all. That was until he relaxed, slouched against the pillows. He seemed as surprised as she was, surprised that she was there. Long, deep breaths did nothing to calm her, her palms sweaty as she pulled the door to, before finally shutting it with a soft click. Time has slowed down and for a few long moments Shannon could swear that he looked sixteen again.

She twisted her ring with her thumb nervously a few times before she found the courage to look at him again. Her breath caught in her throat; he looked so... sad. Biting her lip, Shannon crossed the room, the silence enveloping her as familiar as ever. Facing the ghosts of your past was never easy and Shannon was never the type to battle her fears by looking them in the eye. But here she was, pulling up a chair and sitting on it. Her hands together in her lap, she was trying to stop herself from the desperation that consumed her. She wanted to touch him, to comfort him, to make him feel better.

What possibly could she do to achieve that?

She looked at him and managed half a smile, her hands still in her lap, still keeping to her own space. After all, she knew Dominic well and they were very similar when it came to personal space. Violations of the rule were frowned upon.

“Hello, Dominic.” She spoke, after what seemed like forever. Her voice was quiet, too small to sound at least the tiniest bit comforting. Looking away wasn’t an option anymore, she found herself lost in his eyes all over again; they stood out even more than usual in his pale face, framed by the deep shadows under his eyes.

For Dominic

PMEmailAIM
^
dominic brooks
 Posted: Aug 15 2015, 08:25 PM
But oh my heart, was flawed I knew my weakness. So hold my hand consign me not to darkness. So crawl on my belly 'til the sun goes down. I'll never wear your broken crown. I took the road and I fucked it all away. Now in this twilight, how dare you speak of grace
30GreyCON ARTIST24 postsapplicationplotting
dominic brooks

ICARUS IS FLYING TOO CLOSE TO THE SUN
YOU'LL DRINK YOURSELF TO DEATH
The 'click' of the door echoed loudly in his head- they were alone together: it hadn’t happened in years, not properly… the last time they'd been alone together there had been Police sirens and the threat of being caught and sent to prison to occupy his mind. The last time he'd seen her… he'd been too preoccupied with the fact that she and Harry had slept together to think of anything else. Now, they were alone- with nothing to worry about but her, and worry he did. As she walked further into the room… he was almost afraid. Like a sinner in the presence of an angel, he did not know what to do or say- didn't know how to compose himself. He'd relied so heavily upon his anger in the last few days, that any other emotion left him floundering in bewilderment. For a long while all he could do was stare, as if afraid that if he looked away- she would disappear into the air like a phantom.

As she sat nearby he swallowed hard, eyes watching her every move with a wariness better suited to a cornered animal. She posed no danger to him, would be easily ran out of the room should he choose to send her away and yet he couldn’t bring himself to say the words. Even now, after all this time and everything that had transpired between them- he craved her touch, wanted nothing more than for her to take him into her arms and offer the comfort he knew he did not deserve.

Shannon Saunders was perfection, and he was nothing.

“Why the fuck are you here?”

His tone was as callous as his choice of words and he inwardly cringed at the harshness of them. He hid behind his usual defences, terrified to show any other emotion- frightened of the rejection he was so sure she would offer should he express himself and his feelings toward her. His wary expression belied his uncertainty, unintentionally softening his words even as he spoke them- his body language a little too tense, the way he gripped the blankets covering him with one hand signalling how uncomfortable he felt in the situation. All things Shannon would easily pick up on, were she looking.

For Shannon
^-^

PMEmail
^
shannon saunders
 Posted: Aug 23 2015, 08:57 AM
shannon saunders

It was all very weird. Dominic didn’t seem to be hiding at all and Shannon wasn’t used to him like that. She appreciated it, she didn’t have to go guessing as to what he was actually feeling... and it seemed that in his adult life Dominic matured a lot from what she remembered back when they were teenagers.

She knew that the decision to come see him was completely insane. She was very well aware what she was getting herself into but didn’t want to keep herself away from him any longer. It hurt too much to do so. And she supposed that since her feelings for Dominic didn’t shift over the years, if she still loved him as much as she did before, then avoiding him was more harm than having him back in her life. Sure, he scared her. But that wasn’t what was important.

She smiled a small, gentle smile. There was a warm feeling in her chest as she continued to look at him and when he finally spoke, she raised an eyebrow at the language before anything else. It was the fact that he didn’t say it in the way that she would expect him to. She would think he’d be aggressive about it and tell her to fuck off but he lacked the anger. Shannon supposed she was grateful. She wanted to help.

Unable to keep herself from doing it for much longer, she reached to him and grabbed his hand with both hers, the smile still on her face. She had more confidence now.

“I’m not entirely sure what answer you want to hear from me. I want to help.” She replied.

For Dominic
My feelings...

OUTFIT

PMEmailAIM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules Collapse  

skinned exclusively for across the chessboard by asya