chatter
  • across the chessboard
  • welcome
    welcome to across the chessboard! we're an alice in wonderland based site with an original plot and slight modern dystopian twist and canon characters from alice's adventures in wonderland and through the looking glass and what alice found there, both by lewis carroll. for a longer summary, please visit our information center here. if you have any questions, feel free to give an admin a shout in the cbox (it's to your left- just click the chatter button and it should pop open). again, welcome, and we hope you join us!

it is currently summer 2015 in london.
    it is currently summer-ish in wonderland.

• stats & info
    Wonderland wasn't always this way. There was a time when it mirrored medieval England, albeit with a few magical elements: a few quirks and eccentricities that made it truly unique. While all feared the Queen's mercurial temper and the fine blade of her Guillotine, all was well, until a little girl named Alice Liddell disturbed the status quo and sparked a revolution. The kingdom began to fall into decay as the taint of the modern world invaded. History is beginning to repeat itself and no one is happy. As the Queen of Hearts tangles in a battle of wits and riddles with the Cheshire Cat, the rest are starting to wonder ... is it true that the White Rabbit is bringing humans to Wonderland when they themselves are banned from going to London?

myrmidones of the queen — 12/∞ 
    myrmidones of the cat — 08/∞ 
    unaffiliated — 09/∞ 
  • featured
    asya
    fintan
    character
    judas
    male
    aria
    female
    jacqueline & maixent
    pairing
    empty gold
    thread

Add Reply
New Poll

EMPTY GOLD, tag; achilles/taylor
jacqueline monroe
 Posted: Sep 15 2015, 12:39 AM
cause baby i could build a castle out of all the bricks they threw at me & every day is like a battle but every night with us is like a dream baby we're the new romantics come on come along with me heart break is the national anthem we sing it proudly we are too busy dancing to get knocked off our feet baby we're the new romantics the best people in life are free
38Redqueen of hearts66 postsapplicationplotting
jacqueline monroe

Summer was coming to a close.

That was Jaq’s first conscious thought one morning when she woke to a cool breeze brushing across her arm and seeping into the thin sheets pulled up to her waist. She knew the thicker blankets were kicked down to the end of the bed and that she could easily get them if she sat up for a second but the body she was curled around was too warm and she didn’t want to move. She settled for at least opening her eyes.

One of the small windows in the wall overlooking the courtyard several stories below was still open; for half a beat she wondered why before remembering that she opened it to smoke one of Max’s cigarettes she’d stolen before ultimately being pulled back to bed by Achilles. It was a testament to how heated her skin had been that she hadn’t felt the chill until awaking hours later in the early morning. The sky through the window was grey, overcast with clouds that looked there to stay for the day. She’d be surprised if they brought rain. They didn’t look like rain clouds.

Achilles shifted under her, still asleep, and she decided that while he was great for warmth, blankets would definitely help her desire to not get out of bed. With a huff, she pushed herself up against the bed, cursing the loss of heat and blindly grabbed the blankets that hadn’t fallen off the bed, pulling them up her shoulders as she laid back down, a leg hitched over Achilles’ and her head on his shoulder. One hand slid under his back; the other traced his collarbone, the roundness of his shoulder, soft as a feather, slipped down his arm and lingered on a scar cutting down the inside of his elbow.

There was one night, a few weeks prior, when she’d pushed him down and had set about mapping out the web of scars scratched into his body. She more or less knew where all of them were -- the one on the inside of his thigh had gotten a sharp intake of breath and every time since then she’d made a point of brushing against it -- but she was committed to learning the shape of each one intimately, conjuring up stories for each that she’d never dare ask Achilles to confirm.

Pressing against the scar on the inside of his elbow, Jaq pushed herself up, her hair gathered to one side and hanging down, blocking Achilles’ sightline of the door. She dropped her head to drop a kiss to the notch of his clavicle, fingers splayed against the inside of his elbow shifting to fist the sheets next to his arm to keep herself balanced. Her tongue dipped into the hollow at the base of his throat and when she looked up a moment later she saw he was awake. “Morning,” she murmured, nosing the bottom of his chin. “Sleep well?”

I must confess how hard I tried to breathe through the trees of loneliness & you must confess how hard you need to see through the heart beating out my chest feel like we've been falling down like these autumn leaves - - - - - - -
PMEmail
^
achilles halden
 Posted: Sep 15 2015, 02:52 AM
You saw my pain washed out in the rain, broken glass, saw the blood run from my veins but you saw no fault, no cracks in my heart and you knelt beside my hope torn apart. But the ghosts that we knew will flicker from view we'll live a long life so give me hope in the darkness that I will see the light
29RedRed Knight113 postsapplicationplotting
achilles halden

Achilles roused to fingers sliding over his scars. Lance was a touchy-feely individual, cuddling early in the morning especially. Achilles was particularly vulnerable half asleep and Lance could get away with it without being hit. Achilles was about to tell him to knock it off, that tickles, when thick hair slid over his chest. Lance didn't have long hair. The knight repressed a shiver and held himself stock-still, eyes carefully closed in repose. As soon as he realized something was wrong, the whole fantasy crashed around him. Scents flooded the room. Sweat, fresh cut lilacs on the nightstand. Dust, accumulated for years and only just swept out recently.

He could still taste Jacqueline on his lips, chapped as they were. Dehydrated, too. They tumbled between the sheets long after the moon began to sink into surrender. That wasn't completely out of the ordinary for Achilles, though the partner was still pretty new. What set his teeth on edge was waking up in red satin sheets, with Jaq blanketed across his bare skin. Dallying was fine. Fucking around was fine. But waking up with someone? That hit too close to emotional expectation. It made having sex seem more...intimate. Which was horrifying in itself. That it was with the Queen? The married Queen who loved her husband despite her latest affair? Dangerous waters, and Achilles won't float above the waves for long.

But it was more than fear. It was more than the confusion of seeing Jacqueline naked on top of him. It was more than the heady glow of her skin in the sunlight, more than the twinge of pride in her eyes and her wicked smile. All those feelings, all that panic warred against the all-consuming guilt threatening to crush him where he lay. Achilles had drunkenly woken up in a stranger's bed occasionally, but last night he'd been sober. He'd never cared who he slept with before. But Jacqueline was so much more than a casual lay. She was his Queen, his monarch, his reason for living. And for all his loyalty, for all his respect and devout conviction...

He had zero emotional attachment for her. Absolutely none. Achilles liked to believe love was impossible for him, and he would never deserve it. He was fine accepting punishment for the loved ones he'd stolen away, for the mothers and fathers and siblings he murdered. For the turtles. For the very crime of existing in the first place. Someone like he didn't deserve love or affection. And yet some dark, secret part of him, one that reared its head during drunken stupors or early morning confusions felt something more than simple appreciation and friendship. No matter how he refused to acknowledge the feeling in his waking hours, Achilles felt shame burn beneath his skin. A white-hot disease searing his flesh, prickling him all over with goose-flesh. His eyes opened for a moment to peer at this woman, her majesty who dragged him out at all hours and fucked the night away.

Their eyes met and he swore internally. He couldn't feign slumber now. But Achilles didn't know what to say nor what to do. What was protocol? Did he exit the room politely and not speak of it? Did he whisper sweet nothings, all lies choked from an unwilling throat? Did he bow and ask her? Her tongue traced his clavicle and it was all he could do not to grab her by the hips. But even if he did, Achilles wouldn't know if he should throw her off or ravish her again. Her voice practically crooned like a sated cat, swirling around him as she pressed against his face. Achilles drew in a shaky breath and kept his hands carefully at his side. That hollow ache within filled not with love but with guilt.

"Rarely." The word came out half a whisper, both from his dry throat and his uncertainty. But it would be rude to act as though he was against this whole thing--considering he willingly slept with her and was stupid enough to fall asleep in her bed the only one who should suffer was himself. "I trust you slept well, my Queen?" If all else fails, fall back on what he knew. She liked when he called her My Queen; he could see it in her eyes and the crinkling at the corner of her mouth even if she wouldn't say it. "You seem especially energetic this morning." Was that an observation? Babble? Achilles wasn't sure. He formulated the words carefully but he had no idea where they came from. He wasn't overly lovey dovey with Lance in the mornings unless he was still drunk from the night before - or Lance pressed proper weak points at the right time. He wasn't sure how to handle her outward display of affection. He opted for somewhat casual, wrapping an arm around her slender waist. At the very least he'd keep her a bit warmer in the chilly morning air.

All day I've been wondering what is inside of me, who can I blame for it? I say it runs in the family, this famine that carries me to such great lengths to open my legs up to anyone who'll have me. It runs in the family, I come by it honestly do what you want cause who knows it might fill me up
PM
^
jacqueline monroe
 Posted: Sep 21 2015, 12:26 AM
cause baby i could build a castle out of all the bricks they threw at me & every day is like a battle but every night with us is like a dream baby we're the new romantics come on come along with me heart break is the national anthem we sing it proudly we are too busy dancing to get knocked off our feet baby we're the new romantics the best people in life are free
38Redqueen of hearts66 postsapplicationplotting
jacqueline monroe

Achilles’ reaction was exactly what Jaq expected it to be. Guarded, aloof, unsure with all she was making him confront. She had no delusions about romance or being swept off her feet -- there was only one person she wanted that from and the fact that she wasn’t getting it was the whole reason she and Achilles were together in that moment. Still, at the very least he could pretend, if only for her benefit. His intensity was ruining the marginally good mood she’d woken up in. If he was trying to hide his discomfort, he wasn’t doing a very good job. She could read it all across him; she hadn’t made herself Queen on sheer dumb luck after all.

“I slept hard more than I slept well,” she replied, unconsciously swelling with pride a bit. Maybe it was merely a vanity thing, but hearing My Queen always sent a thrill through her -- a reminder that she had the power and control she’d wanted her whole life. But it was like having half the portrait she’d spent her life outlining, and so the feeling was dampened a bit by the fact that she didn’t have it all, not in that moment. The second half was being damned difficult. “It felt shorter than a blink.” Not unusual -- she only slept well next to Max.

She lowered herself back down gently, tucking her hair behind her ear and propping her chin in her fist on his chest. Her smile was brief, mildly amused at his assessment of her. Still so much to learn. “I don’t want to face today,” she said, offering no explanation but left it open if Achilles decided to probe. She wanted him to feel like he had some kind of control over how close she let him get and he her. “Much easier to stay in bed and ignore the world.” She looked down, watching the fingers of her free hand trace his collarbone. Looking at him would be too intimate for the situation. He was nice to look at, sculpted in a way Max was not, years of precise and deliberate training as a Knight forming his body more definitely.

She fell silent, lost in thought, momentarily mesmerized by the sheer maleness of him. There was a strength to him that was borderline dangerous. Her intuition told her that at any moment’s notice he could roll her over and do some serious damage if the impulse overtook him. Max had the same kind of strength, and a tendency to sidestep emotions with all the grace and subtlety of a toddler learning to walk. She had long since compiled a mile-long list of similarities between the two men; she’d yet to fully face the implications of such a list head on. She’d have to admit things about this affair she’d rather not.

“I’m sorry for this,” she said, making no effort to move or take her eyes off where her fingers were now resting, splayed over a pectoral. “We don’t usually do this, I know -- spend the night together fully -- actually, on second thought we never have---” She made a face, “---and this muddies up whatever line was there before, blurred as it may have been. I want to make this clear: this doesn’t change anything. I’m not expecting some big romance like in the novels. Your heart is somewhere else---” And on this, she was completely referring to his duties as Knight, “---but this, as long as you’re still alright with it, this gives me a release I haven’t known for quite some time. No strings attached, as London would say. That’s why I fell asleep here at all -- I had no energy to go back to my official rooms. So, we come full circle---” She traced a circle into his skin as she spoke, “---and again, I must apologize for mucking up an already complicated situation.”

I must confess how hard I tried to breathe through the trees of loneliness & you must confess how hard you need to see through the heart beating out my chest feel like we've been falling down like these autumn leaves - - - - - - -
PMEmail
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules Collapse  

skinned exclusively for across the chessboard by asya