chatter
  • across the chessboard
  • welcome
    welcome to across the chessboard! we're an alice in wonderland based site with an original plot and slight modern dystopian twist and canon characters from alice's adventures in wonderland and through the looking glass and what alice found there, both by lewis carroll. for a longer summary, please visit our information center here. if you have any questions, feel free to give an admin a shout in the cbox (it's to your left- just click the chatter button and it should pop open). again, welcome, and we hope you join us!

it is currently summer 2015 in london.
    it is currently summer-ish in wonderland.

• stats & info
    Wonderland wasn't always this way. There was a time when it mirrored medieval England, albeit with a few magical elements: a few quirks and eccentricities that made it truly unique. While all feared the Queen's mercurial temper and the fine blade of her Guillotine, all was well, until a little girl named Alice Liddell disturbed the status quo and sparked a revolution. The kingdom began to fall into decay as the taint of the modern world invaded. History is beginning to repeat itself and no one is happy. As the Queen of Hearts tangles in a battle of wits and riddles with the Cheshire Cat, the rest are starting to wonder ... is it true that the White Rabbit is bringing humans to Wonderland when they themselves are banned from going to London?

myrmidones of the queen — 12/∞ 
    myrmidones of the cat — 08/∞ 
    unaffiliated — 09/∞ 
  • featured
    asya
    fintan
    character
    judas
    male
    aria
    female
    jacqueline & maixent
    pairing
    empty gold
    thread

Add Reply
New Poll

mischief managed, hogwarts au: shannon
dominic brooks
 Posted: Apr 27 2015, 01:50 PM
But oh my heart, was flawed I knew my weakness. So hold my hand consign me not to darkness. So crawl on my belly 'til the sun goes down. I'll never wear your broken crown. I took the road and I fucked it all away. Now in this twilight, how dare you speak of grace
30GreyCON ARTIST24 postsapplicationplotting
dominic brooks

He'd never been particularly fond of potions. It was a game of patience, and Dominic Brooks had never had that in spades. In fact, his level of patience was more a meager sprinkling on top of a larger concoction of mischief and a knack for getting into trouble. There was nothing he found more bothersome or tiring than sitting around a cauldron waiting for something to brew; why bother with trying to mix something together in a bottle when far more exciting results could be gained far more instantly with the flick of a wand?

So it wasn't any real surprise that he'd opted out of potions that afternoon. Oh, he didn't suppose it'd end particularly well, he'd probably be hauled off to the Headmasters office if his Head of House couldn't deal with the continued truancy. He'd heard it all before, the don't squander your talent, don't waste your education all the way up to what would your father say?

Well, his father could go suck the dick of a cave troll, for all he cared. They weren't particularly close, and thus Mr. Brooks' reputation as a high member in the ministry didn't really bother him one whit.

He'd taken up refuge on the fringes of the forbidden forest, sheltered from view by the hulking mass of a tree; not the whomping willow, he wasn't an idiot. His cat, a miserable, aggressive creature by the name of Susan- was curled up at his side, and occasionally he amused himself by transfiguring her into something; never for very long, lest she swear vengeance upon him while he slept... but long enough to provide adequate entertainment.

Preoccupied by her latest transformation into a rather disgruntled looking honey badger- he didn't notice the sound of approaching feet until a pair of shined shoes came into his line of vision.

"Found me then?"

He sounded amused, shielding his eyes from the sun with one hand as he looked up into the face of one very unimpressed looking Shannon Saunders.

[House: Slytherin ]

i solemnly swear that i am up to no good.
PMEmail
^
shannon saunders
 Posted: May 1 2015, 08:11 AM
I'm breaking free from these memories Gotta let it go, just let it go I've said goodbye Set it all on fire Gotta let it go, just let it go
30GreyTA35 postsapplicationplotting
shannon saunders

As a Prefect, Shannon had additional responsibilities and while it didn’t exactly state that she has to go out of her way in order to get students to class, she did. And now she was missing potions for the sake of finding Dominic Brooks and possibly cursing him. The only thing he really had going for him was the fact that he was attractive – otherwise, by now, Shannon would have spoken to one of the Slytherin Prefects in order to take away some points. If that failed, there was always her Head of Year; nobody really liked to take points away from their own house... She didn’t often do it herself, unless the matter was serious. In all her years at Hogwarts, Ravenclaw hasn’t won the House Cup and with every day, Shannon grew more and more determined. Missing potions was more than annoying – she could have earned some points. Here was hoping that somebody else would.

She spent about half an hour in the castle, having engaged a fair few of the portraits and the ghosts to help her before she leant out the window and looked to the Forbidden Forest. He wouldn’t be that much of an idiot, would he...? She shook her head and told one of the portraits that the search was to cease now. Five years was enough to know that yes, Dominic would be the sort of person to just go to a place with dangerous magical creatures instead of attending class. She heaved a sigh and walked towards the stairs, sliding down on the banister – it took much less time and effort than walking down would, after all. And besides, she wasn’t sure whether she took the right stairs – what day of the week was it? Monday? Should be fine then.

Finally, she managed to get out of the castle and started towards the forest, putting more force into her steps that was necessary and finally, she saw him under one of the larger trees. Quite the smart move, really. She stopped right in front of him and looked to his side – there was a honey badger next to him... and while she shouldn’t get herself preoccupied, she had to congratulate him the skills. It was ridiculous, but at the same time, it was quite a complex spell.

The thing about Dominic Brooks that annoyed her the most was the fact that he was very intelligent but decided to throw it all away in favour of pranks and being a general pain.

“Found me then?”

“As you can see.” She replied, her tone unamused. “Get up, we’re going back to class.”

Now if you don't mind, I'm going to bed before you come up with another clever idea to get us killed - or worse, expelled.
PMEmailAIM
^
dominic brooks
 Posted: May 3 2015, 10:25 AM
But oh my heart, was flawed I knew my weakness. So hold my hand consign me not to darkness. So crawl on my belly 'til the sun goes down. I'll never wear your broken crown. I took the road and I fucked it all away. Now in this twilight, how dare you speak of grace
dominic brooks

At Shannon's approach, the cat-turned-honey badger began to growl, and Dominic spared her a brief, amused glance; shushing her as he did so with a gentle stroke down her spine. For whatever reason, be it jealousy or simply a disagreeable temperament- Susan had never taken particularly well to Shannon. Then again, the miserable moggie didn't seem to have much time for anyone save for her master, possibly because he doted upon her like she was a princess.

Most likely jealousy, then.

"Can't go to class," he said simply- gesturing to the honey badger with an expression that clearly suggested Shannon was missing something very obvious. "I can't exactly go back to class with a honey badger can I? They're not on the list of allowed pets."

Like he cared.

Like she wasn't actually a cat.

PMEmail
^
shannon saunders
 Posted: May 3 2015, 08:24 PM
I'm breaking free from these memories Gotta let it go, just let it go I've said goodbye Set it all on fire Gotta let it go, just let it go
shannon saunders

  Shannon was more than annoyed. If it wasn’t for the fact that she could hope that Dominic would clean up his act, she wouldn’t have bothered. It wasn’t like in the years that they’ve known each other he was a particularly good student, no, but she still had her hopes. She folded her arms and frowned at him.

“Dominic,” she started, before taking a deep breath in and out, to try and calm herself. This was hardly the first time he did that but it was always so frustrating. Why was he doing this? “You’re wasting your life. And don’t think I don’t know that is in fact your cat and that you’re capable of changing her back. You’re intelligent, don’t make yourself seem so stupid.”

Now if you don't mind, I'm going to bed before you come up with another clever idea to get us killed - or worse, expelled.
PMEmailAIM
^
dominic brooks
 Posted: May 3 2015, 08:39 PM
dominic brooks

"I beg to fucking differ," he began, with an air of actual offence on his face as he raised one hand- clearly about to tell her something of high importance. Life changing, in fact. "Potions is a waste of my life. When the fuck am I ever going to think 'ah, you know what? I could really murder a dreamless sleep potion right now, but instead of just popping down to Diagon Alley and buying one and saving plenty of time I'll get all my cauldron shit out and brew one in the next few hours'? Never, that's when."

The only potion he'd ever shown any interest in brewing had been the Polyjuice potion and after a rather unfortunate incident involving a stray hair of Susan's... had refused to have anything to do with it for a good few weeks.

Poisons, perhaps... but they were rarely, if ever- covered in classes.

"Maybe she's having an identity crisis. Maybe inside, she was always a honey badger. Look at that face, Shann', I can't just turn her back- she's loving it."

From the look on Susan's face- she was anything but loving it.

Then again, it might well have simply been Shannon's proximity.

PMEmail
^
shannon saunders
 Posted: May 3 2015, 09:40 PM
shannon saunders

“First off, get a handle on your language.” Shannon replied. “Potions is not a waste of your life. You will need to know them in the future. How are you even going to graduate? You can’t expect to not attend classes and ace your exams, this is not how the world works. You need to be there for it. Attendance is actually part of it.” She breathed out, unhappy with the entire ordeal.

“Look, just come with me. And as for Susan, I suggest you turn her back before she bites you.”

PMEmailAIM
^
dominic brooks
 Posted: May 3 2015, 09:45 PM
dominic brooks

Dominic had always been particularly talented in hiding his emotions, but as Shannon attempted to give him a lecture on the benefits of good attendance, he couldn’t have looked more bored. His expression was one of pure apathy as he let her finish, staring at her with a look that conveyed just how much of a fuck he gave for his potential graduation.

“Can’t say I really care right now. I’m sure there’s plenty of drop-outs with inspiring stories that I can look up to when I inevitably fail. School isn’t everything, Shann’. Really isn’t.”

And yet somehow, he found himself getting to his feet- a long suffering sigh leaving him as he did so, dusting off his robes and glancing down to Susan with a smirk. A flick of a wand and a muttered word later and the cat was arching her spine with a ill-tempered growl, curling possessively about Dominic’s leg as she shot a glare up at Shannon.

“She really doesn’t fecking like you, huh?”

PMEmail
^
shannon saunders
 Posted: Jun 26 2015, 05:36 AM
shannon saunders

  Shannon was more than done with Dominic’s attitude. It was as though nothing went through that thick skull of his... and he has such a capable brain that it near physically pained her when he didn’t show up for class. Which, in case of potions, was about ninety eight percent of the time. Irritated by his clear boredom, she stood with her arms folded and stared at him intently, choosing not to say one word more. It was possible that she was completely wasting her time and perhaps she shouldn’t keep trying but she was way too good to stop.

Surprise registered briefly on her face as Dominic got up before she smiled; maybe she wasn’t wasting her time after all? Looking down at Susan, she caught the moment she was being changed back into a cat. To no surprise, there was a growl and a glare and for some reason, it made Shannon feel marginally better – things came back to normal.

“Language. And apparently not, no.”

PMEmailAIM
^
dominic brooks
 Posted: Aug 15 2015, 07:57 PM
dominic brooks

He wasn't altogether surprised when Shannon didn't rise to his bait- a little disappointed, sure, but not surprised. She seemed to have a handle on how to act around him; and it drove him crazy. Anyone else he could tempt into a fight with a few well crafted insults and a smug look but Shannon? She gave as good as she got and kept it almost constantly verbal. She knew how to handle him and it pissed him off to no end. Yet here he was, talking to her still- gravitating toward her as though she were the sun and he a planet spinning slowly out of control. She kept him as grounded as he knew how to be, and he both hated and loved her for it.

"Oh for fucks sake Saunders. lighten up."

And for all his talk, all his intention of not going to class- he found himself scooping up the hissing feline in one arm, stroking her idly as he did so in an effort to soothe her rage- and picking up his bag. "Fine, you fuckin' win. Lead on, little miss perfect."

PMEmail
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules Collapse  

skinned exclusively for across the chessboard by asya