chatter
  • across the chessboard
  • welcome
    welcome to across the chessboard! we're an alice in wonderland based site with an original plot and slight modern dystopian twist and canon characters from alice's adventures in wonderland and through the looking glass and what alice found there, both by lewis carroll. for a longer summary, please visit our information center here. if you have any questions, feel free to give an admin a shout in the cbox (it's to your left- just click the chatter button and it should pop open). again, welcome, and we hope you join us!

it is currently summer 2015 in london.
    it is currently summer-ish in wonderland.

• stats & info
    Wonderland wasn't always this way. There was a time when it mirrored medieval England, albeit with a few magical elements: a few quirks and eccentricities that made it truly unique. While all feared the Queen's mercurial temper and the fine blade of her Guillotine, all was well, until a little girl named Alice Liddell disturbed the status quo and sparked a revolution. The kingdom began to fall into decay as the taint of the modern world invaded. History is beginning to repeat itself and no one is happy. As the Queen of Hearts tangles in a battle of wits and riddles with the Cheshire Cat, the rest are starting to wonder ... is it true that the White Rabbit is bringing humans to Wonderland when they themselves are banned from going to London?

myrmidones of the queen — 12/∞ 
    myrmidones of the cat — 08/∞ 
    unaffiliated — 09/∞ 
  • featured
    asya
    fintan
    character
    judas
    male
    aria
    female
    jacqueline & maixent
    pairing
    empty gold
    thread

Add Reply
New Poll

quest for cotton candy, tagged: fintan
jack lowell
 Posted: May 3 2015, 03:46 PM
Run boy run! This world is not made for you Run boy run! They’re trying to catch you Run boy run! Running is a victory Run boy run! Beauty lays behind the hills Run boy run! The sun will be guiding you Run boy run! They’re dying to stop you Run boy run! This race is a prophecy Run boy run! Break out from society
27RedKNAVE OF HEARTS30 postsapplicationplotting
jack lowell

He loved London. He loved it's simplicity, it's complexity- all the contrasting factors that combined to make one effortless whole. It was one big contradiction, but somehow less harmful to him than Wonderland had ever been. Oh, certainly it had its faults- the election was causing trouble with parties such as UKIP stirring up bad feeling, there were the threats from terrorist factions and the corruption of local government to deal with but it was all water off a ducks back as far as he was concerned. He'd vote, he'd do what he could to make London a better, more welcoming place to live for everyone... but at least the ruling party here didn't have a personal vendetta against him, Jack Lowell.

Here he was just another Londoner.

More specifically, in this very moment- just another Londoner looking for the stall selling candyfloss. He had tried it for the first time a few weeks back and had got thoroughly hooked on the stuff. Sadly, outside of Easter or Halloween it was surprisingly difficult to get your hands on if you didn't visit a shop specifically made for the sale of sweets and chocolate- and the prospect of real, fairground candyfloss was just too tempting to pass up.

Unfortunately the stand seemed to have gone walkies... he'd been assured that it was at the base of the ferris wheel, but when he arrived he could see only one thing- and it wasn't a vendor selling sugary clouds of goodness.

"Fintan...?"

we're on a mission from god
PMEmail
^
fintan travers
 Posted: Jul 22 2015, 11:36 AM
flashing lights & we took a wrong turn & we fell down a rabbit hole you held on tight to me cause nothing's as it seems i'm spinning out of control didn't they tell us don't rush into things haven't you heard what becomes of curious minds we found wonderland you & i got lost in it & we pretended it could last forever
37Greywhite rabbit42 postsapplicationplotting
fintan travers

Fintan was the only one who knew, with concrete proof, that Jack Lowell had slipped out of Wonderland, trading royalty for anonymity in a city that easily dwarfed his former home. (Fintan himself had been overwhelmed by the size of London when Alice was alive and it had only grown larger as years passed by.) The Cheshire may be suspect, if he took a second to wonder when the last time anyone saw Jack, and as far as Fintan was aware, the Queen seemed to not give two shits if her nephew was in the country or not -- why, just at dinner a few nights previous, she'd dropped a comment on how peaceful the palace was without Jack around so much.

The Royal Family gave Fintan headaches whenever he tried to piece out if they ever even liked each other.

That said, Fintan had taken it upon himself to check in on Jack every once in a while; after all, he'd be remiss in his duties as a servant to the Royal Court as the sort-of-official London liaison if he didn't make sure Jack was at least alive for whenever Queen Jacqueline demanded his presence again. And, admittedly, Fintan had grown lax in his visits to Jack. It quietly dawned on him one day when he sat in a cafe across from the park hosting the May Day festivities, nursing a cup of coffee and the day's paper and caught sight of someone slipping through the crowd who had a distinct Wonderland air about them.

Naturally, Fintan was up and out, dropping some coins on the table in a hasty tip (give a little extra, get a little extra). It wasn't so much that Wonderlanders could sense where each other was -- which would have been extremely helpful when their kind flocked through the streets of London, subtly overrunning the city before the Queen put an abrupt halt to it all -- but rather, Fintan had known Jack since his birth and could pick him out of a crowd blindfolded.

He followed Jack through the throngs of screaming children and oblivious adults, not at all sorry when he knocked a teen girl on to the ground when she wouldn't fucking move faster. Jack was more or less headed in the direction of the Ferris wheel, Fintan noted, so he cut out to the right and hurried to circle around, leaning against the makeshift fence surrounding the attraction, arms crossed over his chest. He flipped his hair off his forehead and gave a lazy smile like he hadn't just stalked Jack across a park. "Jack," he said with a respectful nod, foregoing a bow given their current location. "I'll admit, it's been a while. Forgive me."

All these kinds of places Make it seem like it's been ages Tomorrow some new building will scrape the sky I love this country dearly But I never thought I'd be alone to try - - - - -
PMEmail
^
jack lowell
 Posted: Aug 15 2015, 06:11 PM
Run boy run! This world is not made for you Run boy run! They’re trying to catch you Run boy run! Running is a victory Run boy run! Beauty lays behind the hills Run boy run! The sun will be guiding you Run boy run! They’re dying to stop you Run boy run! This race is a prophecy Run boy run! Break out from society
27RedKNAVE OF HEARTS30 postsapplicationplotting
jack lowell

It felt like years since he'd last seen the White Rabbit, though logic argued that that couldn’t have been the case. Still, it was a shock to his system to see him so suddenly- Fintan was a stark reminder of home, of all that he'd ran from: responsibilities, family, a crown… he'd abandoned it all in favour of the bright lights and sounds of London. Traded a Palace for a cramped, messy little apartment in East London. In the eyes of some, Jack had fallen far and yet Fintan knew the truth of it- knew Jack was free here, able to spread his wings and find a kind of freedom he would never have found in Wonderland, even if the crown had indeed come to rest upon those unruly curls.

He'd been born in the wrong world.

And for a moment, looking at Fintan stood across from him in the fairground- Jack had a horrible feeling that it was all to be taken from him, that Fintan had come to return him to Wonderland. He wouldn’t go without a fight, no, but Jack knew better than to underestimate the White Rabbit. He might not have been as dangerous as the Cheshire Cat, nor as domineering as his Aunt- but Fintan had a kind of understated, subtle persuasion to him. He managed to convince countless humans to follow him to Wonderland after all, had been able to keep his head around two mercurial women… he had a kind of power, and Jack didn't doubt for a second that if he tried- he could take him back home despite any refusal or fight.

“Why are you here?”

If he sounded overly suspicious, it hadn’t been entirely intended. Still, as Fintan himself had admitted- it'd been some time, and it was a little difficult for Jack to believe it was a simple social call. He straightened up, swallowing hard as he looked the Rabbit in the eye, squaring himself, shoulders set back and jaw tightening as he attempted to look somewhat imposing. “I'm not going back...”

we're on a mission from god
PMEmail
^
fintan travers
 Posted: Aug 17 2015, 07:11 PM
flashing lights & we took a wrong turn & we fell down a rabbit hole you held on tight to me cause nothing's as it seems i'm spinning out of control didn't they tell us don't rush into things haven't you heard what becomes of curious minds we found wonderland you & i got lost in it & we pretended it could last forever
37Greywhite rabbit42 postsapplicationplotting
fintan travers

Fintan watched Jack struggle with something before he announced he wasn't going anywhere. Which, fine, that was a logical jump. People had a habit of winding up in Wonderland after they saw Fintan. "I'm not here to take you back," Fintan answered truthfully. "I'm still the only one who knows where you are. It's been, what, two or three human years since I've seen you?" In Wonderland time that was something closer to barely a month, but for humans, three years was a lot, so it would've been for Jack, too. He didn't look much older than the last time Fintan had seen him, but maybe his wariness was just marring any aging Jack had gone under.

"It's been a while," he repeated, wanting to drive that home. "And I feel . . . What would the humans call it? 'I feel bad'? Regardless, I noticed you and realized I'd let some time slip by. I am your only connection to home, if you recall." His eyes narrowed for a split second as he regarded Jack. "Take a walk with me?" he prompted, pushing just enough of his persuasiveness to get Jack to follow. It was an ability he kept secret -- let them all think he was persuasive of merely his own talent. Judas was probably the only who really knew, but Fintan couldn't be sure of that. He had a habit of not paying attention until it was too late when his own homelanders were concerned.

He set off at a slow pace with Jack by his side, not headed anywhere in particular. "The Cheshire is waging a war against your aunt," he said without preamble. Jack most likely didn't care but Fintan had always felt it his duty to keep Jack informed of what was going on in Wonderland. "Not an all-out bloody battlefield war. Mostly words and secrets and hurting those close to her. Perhaps it's in your best interest that you're here and not back home. The Cheshire would surely make you one of his targets." He thought of poor Antoinette. It was unknown if the attack was prompted by Judas or merely an isolated attack from the Jabberwocky, but the Queen was worried it'd been the former even though the latter was more likely. "I figured it best if you knew this," he added.

All these kinds of places Make it seem like it's been ages Tomorrow some new building will scrape the sky I love this country dearly But I never thought I'd be alone to try - - - - -
PMEmail
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules Collapse  

skinned exclusively for across the chessboard by asya