chatter
  • across the chessboard
  • welcome
    welcome to across the chessboard! we're an alice in wonderland based site with an original plot and slight modern dystopian twist and canon characters from alice's adventures in wonderland and through the looking glass and what alice found there, both by lewis carroll. for a longer summary, please visit our information center here. if you have any questions, feel free to give an admin a shout in the cbox (it's to your left- just click the chatter button and it should pop open). again, welcome, and we hope you join us!

it is currently summer 2015 in london.
    it is currently summer-ish in wonderland.

• stats & info
    Wonderland wasn't always this way. There was a time when it mirrored medieval England, albeit with a few magical elements: a few quirks and eccentricities that made it truly unique. While all feared the Queen's mercurial temper and the fine blade of her Guillotine, all was well, until a little girl named Alice Liddell disturbed the status quo and sparked a revolution. The kingdom began to fall into decay as the taint of the modern world invaded. History is beginning to repeat itself and no one is happy. As the Queen of Hearts tangles in a battle of wits and riddles with the Cheshire Cat, the rest are starting to wonder ... is it true that the White Rabbit is bringing humans to Wonderland when they themselves are banned from going to London?

myrmidones of the queen — 12/∞ 
    myrmidones of the cat — 08/∞ 
    unaffiliated — 09/∞ 
  • featured
    asya
    fintan
    character
    judas
    male
    aria
    female
    jacqueline & maixent
    pairing
    empty gold
    thread

Add Reply
New Poll

this ain't a scene, it's a goddamn arms race, JAQ
maixent monroe
 Posted: Jun 26 2015, 08:41 AM
There's a humming in the restless summer air And we're slipping off the course that we prepared But in all chaos, there is calculation Dropping glasses just to hear them break You've been drinking like the world was gonna end (it didn't) Took a shiner from the fist of your best friend (go figure) It's clear that someone's gotta go We mean it but I promise we're not mean
38RedKing of Hearts11 postsapplicationplotting
maixent monroe

Maixent didn’t seem to mind that the weather was not a leather coat weather by far, stubbornly sat in the palace gardens wearing it. Reaching to one of its many pockets, he took an open packet of cigarettes out and lit one up. He still missed London, terribly so but no matter how he tried to address the subject, Jacqueline remained unmoved. He tried to present it to her as a possibility of growth – London continued changing while Wonderland seemed to be at an eternal standstill. Well, there were some differences to what it used to be – for instance, before Alice, he wouldn’t have been able to get a burger and fries here.

He continued to smoke. The day around him was hot, the weather unforgiving but still he sat, longing for the pouring rain of London again. There was nothing he could do about it but he refused to acknowledge it.

I am an arms dealer... fitting you with weapons in the form of words
PMEmail
^
jacqueline monroe
 Posted: Jul 3 2015, 07:19 AM
cause baby i could build a castle out of all the bricks they threw at me & every day is like a battle but every night with us is like a dream baby we're the new romantics come on come along with me heart break is the national anthem we sing it proudly we are too busy dancing to get knocked off our feet baby we're the new romantics the best people in life are free
38Redqueen of hearts66 postsapplicationplotting
jacqueline monroe

Jaq still wasn't sure how she felt about the leather jacket. One hand, it was so London, it sometimes physically pained her to see it on Max's shoulders. On the other . . . it did make his shoulders look really good. But no, she wouldn't admit that to herself, mentally or aloud, because to accept the jacket meant to accept London and no, she wasn't going to let that parasite of a world creep in on hers.

So when she saw it as she turned the corner, Card in tow, she forced a frown on to her face, no matter how much her husband's shoulders looked like they needed a good massage (and she filed that thought away for later pondering). Those damned cigarettes were out, too. Those were something she never waffled on — they smelled and were unnatural. She'd had to snap at the Rabbit several times to smoke before or after their meetings, not during.

"Surely you're stifling in that thing," she said, both making her presence known and poking at his London possessions. She was in a weird mood, unable to find the worlds to articulate what she was feeling, and poking a sleeping bear felt like the natural course of action. She flopped down on the grass at Max's feet, completely un-Queenly, and stared up at him, genuinely worried about how hot he must be in his leather jacket, the sun beating down hot on her sleeveless arms.

i’m slipping out of reach now people talk to me & all their faces blur but i got my fingers laced together & i made a little prison & i’m locking up everyone who ever laid a finger
PMEmail
^
maixent monroe
 Posted: Jul 3 2015, 07:51 AM
There's a humming in the restless summer air And we're slipping off the course that we prepared But in all chaos, there is calculation Dropping glasses just to hear them break You've been drinking like the world was gonna end (it didn't) Took a shiner from the fist of your best friend (go figure) It's clear that someone's gotta go We mean it but I promise we're not mean
maixent monroe

Time was subjective to everyone but with every passing day Maixent felt like he was moving further and further away from a possibility of coming back home. Weirdly enough, the faraway place was something that he considered home. Often, he would sit with Fintan and ask him about London and what has changed there before sending him on yet another trip to gather what it was that Max needed.

Of course, he noticed her. He didn’t even need to look up; she’d always had a large presence. And if it wasn’t for that, he could hear her soft steps on the grass as she walked to him and when her legs came into his line of view, a small smile curled his lip up. He didn’t immediately stub the cigarette out, instead finishing it slowly before looking at her – her hair was up and off her neck, the day around them was immensely hot, it was something that he couldn’t deny. However, he was way too stubborn to let it get to him. Jacqueline’s comment only earned a lift of his eyebrow before he chose to speak.

“I’m fine.” Unable to rid his voice of the sulky, slightly annoyed undertone, he frowned.

PMEmail
^
jacqueline monroe
 Posted: Jul 12 2015, 02:58 AM
cause baby i could build a castle out of all the bricks they threw at me & every day is like a battle but every night with us is like a dream baby we're the new romantics come on come along with me heart break is the national anthem we sing it proudly we are too busy dancing to get knocked off our feet baby we're the new romantics the best people in life are free
jacqueline monroe

She snorted. "Of course you're fine." He looked miserable, sweat beading at his hairline. Why did he do this to himself? Was he really that desperate for a bit of London? Stretching her arms above her, she shut her eyes and let the sun bake on her face for a few minutes, appreciating the fresh air, no matter how hot it was. Summer may not be her favorite season, but she definitely didn't hate it the way she did with spring. She was an all or nothing person; watching and waiting for blooms and buds tested her patience far too much. At least in autumn there was color. Spring was still semi-depressing.

Sitting up, she leaned back, resting her weight on her hands, and nodded towards the dropped cigarette. "What's it like, smoking one of . . . those?" she asked, more out of curiosity to understand her husband than anything else. Sweat was forming at her temples by now, the sun warmer than what she first felt. She dropped her head back, letting the sun hit her long neck. "You keep going back to them," she noted, eyes closed and voice soft. "I never tried one, much as I saw them being inhaled by everyone the last time I was in London."

i’m slipping out of reach now people talk to me & all their faces blur but i got my fingers laced together & i made a little prison & i’m locking up everyone who ever laid a finger
PMEmail
^
maixent monroe
 Posted: Jul 28 2015, 08:43 PM
maixent monroe

He wiped his brow and closed his eyes for a few seconds, trying to persuade his body to cool down. He wasn’t about to let go of his bit of London, it was too precious to him. Deciding to open his eyes, he looked to Jacqueline. She looked beautiful and peaceful as she relaxed and dropped her shoulders and even though she recognised that he wasn’t in fact fine he wasn’t going to humour her. As much as he missed the freedom London provided, he needed to accept his responsibility. Not only as King, also as a husband. And while he knew that talking would probably help, he was way too stubborn to just get to the point. He was an expert when it came to dancing around his problems.

“Addictive.” It was the first word that came to mind, however useless it was to describe what smoking felt like. “I keep going back to them because inhalation of the smoke calms your breathing down. It elongates your breath.” He shrugged.

PMEmail
^
jacqueline monroe
 Posted: Aug 6 2015, 05:26 PM
jacqueline monroe

Addictive.

She rolled it around her mind, mentally tasting it on her tongue. Addiction. What was that like? Jaq knew people had their vices and some people couldn't control them for one reason or another, leading to a kind of dependency she avoided at all cost. She met her husband's gaze, trying to puzzle this one out. She'd grown up in a household based on control and structure -- there was a routine for everything, a pattern ingrained into her from the moment she was born. To fall away from that was to be lazy, to not understand the way things were and why. Getting hooked on a drug (or many) was an act of selfishness to the highest degree. The Royal Family was above the lazy and the selfish. One was allowed to indulge every so often. Anything more was just plain indecency.

With that in mind, Jaq sat up and joined Max on the bench, tucking a leg under her. She could feel the heat off his jacket; she wanted to reach out and slide it off his shoulders and dunk him in an ice bath. Her heart twinged at the sight of him so miserable. Instead of letting her thoughts slide down their usual path of insecurity and worry over making the right decision, she smiled softly and held out her fingers as if to be passed the cigarette. Her hair fell over her shoulder. To anyone seeing them from behind her, Max was more than likely obscured from view. "Can I try?" she asked. At the look she got, she laughed and her eyes hardened imperceptibly. "Seriously, Max, can I try? Just one." After a beat she added, "I want to see what you experience."

PMEmail
^
maixent monroe
 Posted: Aug 6 2015, 08:21 PM
maixent monroe

Addiction was the only thing Maixent ever knew. It has shown itself in different forms, from stupid little cigarettes to taking lives and he has walked this road more than just once. He still felt the same rush he did before when he killed, when the blood pooled around his fingers as he tore into the body of another useless Card. They were all so bloody useless and he was bored.

That, however, wasn’t for Jacqueline to know. He tried to keep it from her the best he could and he was pretty sure he has succeeded. Either that or she just didn’t want to bring it up. But knowing her, she would demand to know more, to understand him, to know if she should be scared. She shouldn’t be scared, he loved her after all. As much as he despised her sometimes for taking away his home.

It was all a bundle of feelings in his chest that he wasn’t quite sure how to deal with. He was taught every single way to torture and kill, it was drummed into him that he was just a tool; it was easier to be just a tool. Feelings made things complicated and he supposed that was the reason his parents died, really. It’s always down to such a weakness. However, he never learnt how to deal with his emotions. Physical pain he could deal with but it was mental pain that just exhausted him, that made it hell to be in his head. Every day was spent missing London and there were times when he would intentionally avoid seeing Jaq. Sometimes, he was scared that he could in fact kill her. So in turn, he would punish himself for having thoughts like that. If only he were honest, he would admit that it was one of the reasons behind the leather jacket.

He tensed subconsciously when she sat next to him, as though she realised what he was thinking about and he saw it in her that she wanted to take his jacket off. He swiped the sweat off his forehead with the back of his hand. Hearing the question, he raised an eyebrow and shot her a look. Unsure of what she was getting at, he was reserved. Looking at her, he tried to read what it was that she was after but when he heard that she wanted to see what he was getting from it, he didn’t hesitate, pulling the packet out and giving her a cigarette. He got one out for himself, too, and lit both up.

“I don’t think you’ll like it.” He said, his voice now having an amused undertone to it.

PMEmail
^
jacqueline monroe
 Posted: Aug 6 2015, 09:02 PM
jacqueline monroe

She leaned in close, the sweat intensifying Max's usual scent (it made her heady and foggy and she'd been forever distracted by it since the moment they met), and she took a tiny little puff. It didn't seem like anything happened. Keeping eye contact with Max, she sucked harder and immediately regretted it. She'd breathed too much in -- the smoke was unexpectedly sharp, punching out the bottom of her lungs. Her face twisted as she leaned to the side to cough, cigarette pressed tight between her fingers.

"I overdid that, didn't I?" she asked, a grimace still marring her features as she smiled at Max, a touch of wry, self-deprecating humor to her words. She shook her head and stared at the cigarette. The tip had burned, white ash left in place. She could taste it on her tongue, a warm, toasty mix with an indescribable edge. Tentatively, she took another drag, this time quicker and less harsh. There. That was better. Just follow what Max was doing. Suck, exhale, flick. Quick puffs. Don't think too hard.

She stared out at nothing just past Max as the nicotine hit her system. It was like she was suddenly keyed up and calmed down at the same time. Disconcerting but not wholly unpleasant. "I can see the appeal," she said, flicking more ash off and dragging her gaze from the garden to the cigarette to Max. Her hair stuck to the back of her neck and her dress was too heavy. She really didn't know how he was conscious with that leather jacket on.

Her face screwed up as she considered smoking one of them all the time. "I don't know if I could smoke them all the time. They seem to work for you, though. I'll drop my being annoyed at them." She took another drag and tapped her knuckle on the back of his hand resting between them. "Sometimes I can taste it on you, you know. I've never found it repulsive. It's just something I need to get used to."

PMEmail
^
maixent monroe
 Posted: Aug 15 2015, 07:02 PM
maixent monroe

Confused as he was, he found it quite fascinating. To see Jacqueline with a cigarette in hand was something he would never have dreamt of seeing; it was not something of the usual sort. It was something out of the ordinary and she looked so natural while doing it, too. She had an unusual talent in that.

She was a distraction. And even though at first, his instinct was to be rid of all that could ever be a distraction, he welcomed her. She was something completely out of the ordinary, as always and now with a cigarette in hand; she was ever so peculiar in her behaviour. Maixent certainly wasn’t accustomed to it.

“Yes, you overdid it.” A rookie mistake, really, but she seemed to learn quickly. He wondered if there was something else that he could teach her but chose not to go with that route. There were too many things that he could teach her and too many things that she shouldn’t involve herself with. Killing people wasn’t Jacqueline’s style, after all. And she didn’t have to know about it, anyway. Surprise crossed his features when she admitted that she could see the appeal of it. He raised an eyebrow but didn’t comment, instead continuing to smoke his own cigarette. It was simpler that way.

“I don’t think you should smoke them.” He murmured. “I am glad, however. I don’t plan on quitting any time soon.”

PMEmail
^
jacqueline monroe
 Posted: Aug 17 2015, 07:26 PM
jacqueline monroe

Staring at Max and taking short puffs to avoid inhaling too much at one time, Jacqueline was suddenly hit with the urge to cry. This, this damn cigarette held between her fingers, was just one example of a whole novel in which she really didn't know the man sitting next to her. She thought she did, she really had, but London and maybe even just his own past had taken so much away from her. The smile slipped from her face and she dropped her forehead against his shoulder, sticky heat keeping her forehead immobile. She longed for understanding and said as much.

"I'm sorry," she whispered, well aware this was a sudden change in mood from not even five seconds prior. She fell silent again, searching for the best way to phrase her next words, and grabbed him by the upper arm she leaned against. "I'm sorry for giving you such a hard time about things like this. You just feel so far away sometimes and it scares me."

She took in a shuddering breath, trying to stay calm. It was the most honest she'd been with him in a while -- life had pulled them apart and she was desperate for a way back in. Her recent night with the Red Knight barely a week prior was testament to the chasm between wife and husband; she wasn't happy to admit that she kept thinking of that night every time she tried to sleep. (And yet, being with Achilles was so much easier because Jaq at least knew so much more about him than her own husband and dear Alice, she really needed to stop thinking about Achilles at the most inopportune times like this.)

"I'm sorry," she repeated, her voice stronger this time as she apologized for her show of emotions. She sat up straight again, took a longer, measured inhale off the cigarette, and let the smoke pierce her lungs. It hurt. It reminded her of where she was and who she was with. Her husband, not someone else. She flicked the ash off the end of her cigarette and dropped it in the grass without think, stubbing it out with her shoe the way she'd seen countless humans do on what few trips she'd taken to the other side. "I'm tired. I'm still recovering from the Summer Ball. I don't know what came over me," she lied, fingers still wrapped around Max's wrist as she stared at the bush behind them.

PMEmail
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules Collapse  

skinned exclusively for across the chessboard by asya